New technologies have brought great advances for everyone, including people with disabilities. A lot of inclusive apps have emerged to help these people with disabilities in their daily lives. The possibilities offered by these applications are a hopeful future for people who need some help.
Inclusive apps to help the disabled
In recent years there are many applications that have been emerging to help the disabled. The most outstanding are:
Apps for restaurants
One thing as simple as going to a restaurant to eat, became a problem for the blind. There were letters in Braille, the help of the waiter, the companions or even places that turned out the lights completely. Now there are apps for restaurants that help the blind to ask for food.
The application is called Chef’s Voice, which is capable of interactively reproducing all the products on the menu. In addition, it allows to know all the ingredients of each dish and its allergenic content. It is only necessary to carry a mobile phone and that the letter is printed in a QR code.
The application is a great help for the blind, people with reduced vision or tired eyesight. Customers with allergy problems also benefit from this service, which is updated in real time. The program has 12 languages, which is an aid to tourists and saves money in letters.
This service has a cost for the restaurant of 29 euros per month. The local can update your letter quickly from the program. It has a geolocation system where all the locals appear with their letters and the way to reach them.
The operation is simple. You just have to register the dishes with their ingredients and place the QR code on the menu. These can be updated when the location deems appropriate. Customers just have to read the code with a mobile phone and choose the language. You have the possibility of placing filters to search the plates of the menu.
App for deaf children
This application is called StorySign and has been developed by the Chinese manufacturer Huawei. It can be downloaded for free on the Google Play Store or on the Huawei AppGallery. It has a character called Star, who translates the stories into the language of signs.
To use it, you just have to open the book by the desired page. The application translates the words into sign language while the words are highlighted. The project has been developed with the European Union for the Deaf and the members that make up each country. At the moment it can only be used in the book Where is Spot ?, but it is expected to expand the collection.
This success has been achieved through the use of Artificial Intelligence. The problem of deaf children to read comes from the inability to associate words with sounds. Thanks to the Optical Recognition of Characters and the Recognition of Images, the mobile phone is able to recognize each written word. In addition, the loading speed of the book’s pages means that deaf children can read with their parents.
Applications for children with ASD
Children suffering from Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) have also found a place of help in applications. There are several programs that have helped these children to a greater or lesser extent.
– Communicator. Its objective is to develop the skills of the child. The system allows communication through the use of images. The program registers the use of the tool, monitors the use of the information and makes it possible to load new images by using the camera of the device.
– Habla Fácil Diego says. To help autistic children to develop verbal language. It is based on the basic elements of spoken language.
– Follow me Designed for the development of perceptual-visual, cognitive-visual abilities and to achieve access to the meaning of words. The application is valid for people with autism or intellectual disabilities.
– Day to day. For children and adolescents, it allows to save and review what has been done during the day. You have the possibility of programming in an agenda what you want to do next days.
– ABC Autism. It is based on the fundamentals of TEACCH technology. The goal is to help autistic children through fun activities. Available in three languages, Spanish, Portuguese and English.
– PECS Project. Try to improve alternative communication between autistic people. The entire program is based on communication through the exchange of images (PECS) using the ARASAAC pictograms.
All these applications can be downloaded from the Google Play Store and are part of the Dane project.
People with reduced mobility
You can use a couple of highly recommended applications:
– Accessibility Plus. With its geolocation system allows locating points of interest for people with reduced mobility. Through the application you can suggest new points that will be reviewed by the FAMMA.
– Disabled park. Through this application you can locate parking spaces reserved for the disabled. It allows adding new places and denouncing people who are using them inappropriately.
Development of apps in Mallorca
There is a great diffusion of programs to help people and a better quality of life. The development of apps in Mallorca of this style is becoming an activity that is advancing at a good pace.
The best tool for data collection and management of scientific research. Through the Clinicovery application you can collect the data and upload it through notebooks to the cloud. They are stored there and can be consulted at any time from anywhere.
The program can be downloaded through Google Play Store or Apple Store as it works with both systems. The content of the data, being so confidential, has a very sophisticated encryption system.
Inclusive apps are a demonstration that new technologies not only have an economic function. Its development can be very useful for people with special needs. Do you know other applications of this style? What inclusive application do you need to develop?